High school cross-country runner disqualified for wearing hijab

Is this who we are? Do better America. "Abukaram told the Toledo TV station that wearing her Nike sport hijab had not been a problem the past three years, but during a uniform check beforehand, she saw officials having a discussion, which she assumed was about the garment. "And in the back of my mind, I was like 'Are they going to say something about my hijab? Or about my uniform because it is different?'" Noor said. Instead, her teammate was told that she had to change her shorts. Noor said officials did not say anything about the hijab, but she noticed that her name was not on the board after the race. "And they were like, 'You got disqualified,' and I was like, 'For what?' and they were like, 'For wearing your hijab,'" she said. "And, like, my heart dropped. I felt like something horrible happened to me, something that I always thought could happen, but never has happened," she continued. "I think I was mostly embarrassed because like I never expected that to happen." The Toledo Blade reported Thursday that the 16-year-old's fastest 5K time this season, 22 minutes and 22 seconds, will not be counted." (ab) http://ow.ly/CSDz50wUpKB
To Article

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#Democracy won’t be saved by a meme, 100k likes, 1mm RT’s, come on. It’ll take grassroots activism. The Billionaire Media monopolies & liberal and conservative profiteering are part of the problem. #RiseAbove #WeNotMe #WorkingPeople https://t.co/qBgsbGHw4p